Flathead War Party, Hamilton, Montana, Post Office Mural
The Society Board of Directors has voted to extend an award to the literature competitions at national WSP shows, to extend our support of postal history research.
Our Associate Editors have awarded the Best Article in 2016 to Thomas Lera and Sandra Starr for their “Flathead War Party, The Story Behind the Hamilton, Montana Post Office Mural” from our February issue.
The Board will next meet in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the Postal History Society at the Boxborough Philatelic Show 2017, Holiday Inn Boxborough, Interstate 495 & Route 111 in Massachusetts. The show is May 5 to 7; our meetings will be Saturday, May 6.
I also hope you will consider attending The Postal History Symposium, “Philately and Postal History of Southern Africa,” on Thursday, May 4 at the Spellman Museum of Stamps & Postal History (the exhibition) and Regis College (presentations in College Hall 202) – very close by in Weston MA. Admission is free. The speakers will be:
- Peter Thy “Postal History of Southern African Pioneers in World War II”
- Ken Lawrence “The Intersection of African Liberation and Philately in the Life of an Activist”
- Tim Bartshe “The NZASM (Transvaal railroad)”
- Hugh McMackin “The Philatelic Literature of Southern Africa”
- Eddie Bridges “Union of South Africa: The Darmstadt Trials of 1929”
- Gawie Van der Walt & Johan Joubert “The South African Border War: including the involvement of te Cubas 1966-1989”
- Guy Dillaway “The Development of the Cape Eastern Frontier 1864-1910”.
Yamil Kouri, President